Storynory.com

116 Comments

The Raven

Download the audio

00:00 / 00:00

The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe

Around about Halloween, you might like to sit by the fire and listen to a spooky, supernatural poem by Edgar Allan Poe.

A student sits reading and thinking about his dead girlfriend, Lenore. He hears a tap-tap-tapping at his window, and he sees a jet black bird – a raven. The raven comes into his room at sits on top of a statue of Pallas Athene (the goddess of wisdom) and speaks one word – Nevermore ! The word reminds the student that never more will he see his long lost love, Lenore. Then the air seems to thicken with incense swung by supernatural creatures ( Seraphims), and the student starts to cry out that the Raven should stop reminding him of Lenore … he asks if there is any relief from this torment in heaven – and the bird replies – Nevermore ! At last the raven turns into a statue and remains in the room for ever more.

Read by Natasha. Duration 11.22.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`’Tis some visitor,’ I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.’

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; – vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow – sorrow for the lost Lenore -
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Lenore -
Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Thrilled me – filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
`’Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door -
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; -
This it is, and nothing more,’

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
`Sir,’ said I, `or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you’ – here I opened wide the door; -
Darkness there, and nothing more.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, `Lenore!’
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, `Lenore!’
Merely this and nothing more.

Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before.
`Surely,’ said I, `surely that is something at my window lattice;
Let me see then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore -
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; -
‘Tis the wind and nothing more!’

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore.
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door -
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door -
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
`Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,’ I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the nightly shore -
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!’
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.’

Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning – little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door -
Bird or beast above the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as `Nevermore.’

But the raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only,
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing further then he uttered – not a feather then he fluttered -
Till I scarcely more than muttered `Other friends have flown before -
On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before.’
Then the bird said, `Nevermore.’

Startled at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken,
`Doubtless,’ said I, `what it utters is its only stock and store,
Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful disaster
Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore -
Till the dirges of his hope that melancholy burden bore
Of “Never-nevermore.”‘

But the raven still beguiling all my sad soul into smiling,
Straight I wheeled a cushioned seat in front of bird and bust and door;
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore -
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt, and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking `Nevermore.’

This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing
To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into my bosom’s core;
This and more I sat divining, with my head at ease reclining
On the cushion’s velvet lining that the lamp-light gloated o’er,
But whose velvet violet lining with the lamp-light gloating o’er,
She shall press, ah, nevermore!

Then, methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer
Swung by Seraphim whose foot-falls tinkled on the tufted floor.
`Wretch,’ I cried, `thy God hath lent thee – by these angels he has sent thee
Respite – respite and nepenthe from thy memories of Lenore!
Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe, and forget this lost Lenore!’
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.’

`Prophet!’ said I, `thing of evil! – prophet still, if bird or devil! -
Whether tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted -
On this home by horror haunted – tell me truly, I implore -
Is there – is there balm in Gilead? – tell me – tell me, I implore!’
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.’

`Prophet!’ said I, `thing of evil! – prophet still, if bird or devil!
By that Heaven that bends above us – by that God we both adore -
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, within the distant Aidenn,
It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels named Lenore -
Clasp a rare and radiant maiden, whom the angels named Lenore?’
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.’

`Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!’ I shrieked upstarting -
`Get thee back into the tempest and the Night’s Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken! – quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!’
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.’

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon’s that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o’er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted – nevermore!

Find us on Google+

116 Responses to “The Raven”

• Deron says:

love it

• Guinea Pig says:

Thanks!

• Bertie says:

Dear Guinea Pig thank you for the suggestion – I will go back to My Edgar Allen Poe and have a read of the Hosue of Usher and the Tell-tale heart.

• Guinea Pig says:

Dear Bertie, can you post another Edgar Allen Poe story? My favorite is the house of usher, but the tell-tale heart is good to!

• Julie says:

Dear Bertie and Edgar and Natasha (anybody who involves with this story!), I love it. It has ENOUGH darkness for a Halloween night. Thanks for it!
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
    Julie

• Bertie says:

Hi Raven great name! Thanks for comment.

• Raven M says:

HI. a beautiful gothic and dark poem. Edgar is really a talented poet. i loved it! Thank you.
    yours truly,
    Raven M(my real name)

• alexis says:

i loved this story u who didnt is stupid !!!!!!

• Nisha says:

Hello Bertie and Natasha,
    Please don’t ever write something like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I had a bad dream after Listening to this.
    Bye Bye!!!!!

• grant says:

the story was boring and i did not understand the story

• GUI says:

Boring just kidding awsome

• marc says:

i didnt get by the riming parts

• Christopher says:

I don’t understand

• Nijaansh says:

AWESOME!!!!!! Thanks helped me with my Lang Art’s Project.. :D

• Ellen says:

I dont understand….

• adan says:

hi the story was spoky!!!!!!!!!!

• bree says:

i hate it
    it was boring

• alison says:

i dont like it

• bj says:

that was boring and funny

• Nick says:

The story was so depressing, so sad, it made me feel about death as the story goes through my brain over and over again nonstop and every time, i get chills down my back. thinking about darkness and thinking about death is to much for me so NEVERMORE…. LOL good story :)

• Audrey says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE your site! Great audio of wonderful literature. Unfortunately, there is a stanza missing in the reading of “The Raven,” by Edgar A Poe.

• Christian says:

I loved the story.It was awesome!Ivery much enjoyed it once agian.It was a great story.I loved loved loved it.God bless the Raven the pome.

• Belle says:

It was very good, but confusing

• Christian says:

I hope that it will be an inspiering poem to others later on in their life.I hope that it will help someone someday. I love this pome my self as well.

• Blondzella says:

It was awesome.I hope more students will take time and read some of the pomes them self.

• Christian says:

It was so great I thought it would be scareful but it wasm’t it was a tramendis story I loved it I will lisen to it once again.

• christian says:

it was a great story i wish i could have it it was awesome

• clickhere says:

I every time spent my half an hour to read this
    webpage’s content every day along with a mug of coffee.

• jafer ali says:

it is very useful .thanks thanks .thanks alot .i was needed this one

• klj says:

the lady wa borin n sad lol and she missed some paagraphs!!

• lucy says:

thank you for your website!i listen t your stories and specialy natasha voice one year.and now i can talk english very easiest and i have a very good prounancion.

lucy

• CAM says:

O.M.G! I LOVE THIS STORY + I HAVE A TEST ON THIS! WISH ME LUCK:<(

• Natasha says:

Hello
    Thank you for your comment. The Raven is a dark and chilling poem by Edgar Allen poem, ideal for Halloween time to come.
    Reading Poetry out loud is an excellent way to appreciate the language

Thank you for listening to poems at Storynory.com
    Bye Bye
    N *

• Anonymous says:

I READ THIS TO MY CLASS THIS IS EXCELLENT!

• teresa says:

Natasha really conveyed the atmosphere. I really felt I was in that room with a fire buring, the windows shuttered and a December wind howling outside. I also felt Poe’s loneliness and despair.

• Jordyn says:

POINTLESS, BAD STORY AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RAVEN ITS NOT A STORY ITS A POEM AND IT’S A BAD POEM.

• Bertie says:

Hi we haven’t done Anthem for Doomed Youth or any of the 1st World War poetry yet. It’s beautiful but heavy stuff. We might perhaps do one come remembrance day in November. Thank you for the suggestion.

• DJ says:

Just realized I wrote ‘heroisism’ when I meant ‘heroism’…lol My bad, gang.

• DJ says:

Owen’s ‘Anthem…” puts the reader right there and his use of words brings it to life.

The ‘t’s’ simulate live rounds. His use if metaphor helps connect the reader to the jarring reality of the sounds of war…IMO.

Enjoy.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK5kme0dCQY

Text of ‘Anthem…’ (which I suggest reading before listening to it in order to draw one’s own conclusions and in order to get the setting in one’s own mind’s eye’; just a suggestion, for those who, unlike me, aren’t lazy and prefer to read it themselves first before having it read to them. A little background on the poem is that it was written during WWI by a very young and EXTREMELY talented poet disillusioned by the lies told by govt. and society about the glamour and heroisism of man’s inhumanity toward man.

K. I’m done. Despite what I’ve done here today, I DO like to fancy myself by believing that I actually have a real life somewhere beyond poetry…lol

Love for all and all my best,

“DJ”

• DJ says:

A contemporary slam poem by Eric Darby that is worth thinking about:

Walken’s rendition of ‘The Raven’…have a listen, but as someone else commented, it probably needs more cowbell, baby! lol jk

• DJ says:

Bertie,

No apologies required! Totally understand, and in retrospect, I agree. There are -sadly- FAR too many bad people lurking the web.

Can I recommend, if you’ve not already read, a poem by Wilfred Owen called ‘Anthem For Doomed Youth’?

Pay special attention to the ‘rat-tat-tat’ line. Brilliant. A man taken too soon from existence, IMO.

Poe was/is quite over the top. He was deeply depressed, had an unfortunate go of life, and died accordingly. Died from alcohol poisioning, found dead in a ditch! Think of that. Only recognized for his genius posthumously, he lived a life well below the accepted poverty level of his time. Literally tragic, but somehow all too fitting for a man such as he!

His death, to me, only adds to the aura of his poetry.

Great site, BTW!

If you have retained my contact info, or are on Facebook, feel free to contact me, ok?

Hope all is well, friend.

Best,

DJ

• DJ says:

NOTE: Familiarize yourself with his personal life, plight, and death and his poetry will make A LOT more ‘sense’. He lived a sad life and suffered some really unfortunate turn of events. I STRONGLY encourage any who contacts me to know Poe as a person before discussing his work with me (literature snob, sorry…lol). I just don’t want to have to discuss his back background with uninformed enthusiasts. I feel that way about all authors I’m familiar with; read their personal history, politics, philosophy, and worldview before offering up an opinion about a specific piece of work and you will gain SO much more insight about what they contributed to the literary cannon.Many of the these writers and what they did for later generations often goes unnoticed or unresearched, which leads to the ‘I don’t get it’ comments.

Blessings,

“DJ”

• Bertie says:

Hi DJ, Thanks for the interesting comment. Apologies I had to cut your contact details out, as we have a lot of kids on the site, and I have to discourage anybody making direct contact with anyone else. Sorry about that. But people are free to discuss here and to reply to you via this page.

This poem, for me, is more about the atmosphere it creates than its literal meaning. I love the sounds, especially the tap tap . But like a lot of Poe, it’s just a touch over the top ! That rhyme, nevermore, and Lenore, is unforgettable, but rather heavily contrived. It treads a fine line between the comic and the chilling.

• DJ says:

“I didn’t get it’?

Really? Poe, for all his talent and depression, wasn’t always the most complex poet.

He’s mostly a ‘face value’ kinda dude. The story is pretty cut and dry. A dude is napping during his studies and has an encounter with a raven that knows his ‘story’ and visits to tell him that his love for Lenore is basically vain and that he will never see her again.

Go to google and search interpretations and explanations or summaries of the poem.

Poe was a perpetually depressed kinda guy…it’s not hard to understand,it is just absolute, final,and depressing…lol

The poem is NOT about the Raven, it’s about lost love and the man’s obsession with his former love. Poems are hardly EVER about the title.One must dig and think & think critically to glean meaning from what they read. I had an ENTIRE semester of just Poe when I was pursuing one of my degreess, specifically literature, and after about three weeks, I ‘got’ Poe. All of his stuff IS kinda depressing, but there is an element of realistic human emotion inherent in it.

His ‘school’ of poets wanted people to dig deeply to connect with what was being said. I know a lot of high school English teachers require this, but it is a poem, IMO, designed for emotionally mature and curious readers and audience.

The high beauty of the poem, as with alot of poetry, is common or exceptional human condition or emotion.

I have been trying to memorize this poem for a while.

Other than the electric guitar, I recommend Christopher Walken’s rendition of it, which you can quickly and easily find on youtube. Vincent Price also does a great version of this, as well ‘The Tell-Tale Heart’ and ‘The Fall of the House of Usher’ which is either Price or Edgar Bergen; both are fabulous and there is a multi CD volume of those men reading Poe’s work that I highly suggest.

This material is quickly becoming a lost piece of American history and it’s sad. Current generations are far too taken by easy/weak/cheap literature (SOME of which is ok; Kingsolver, for example or Phillip Roth)…or things like Jersey Shore…the abandonment and indifference makes my skin crawl…I’m a literature snob, if you all couldn’t already tell…

My considertion and effort to become a Poe scholar seems rather worthless to many in today’s world, though I see inherent value owe it to them to keep their words and ideas alive, IMO)in such perpetuation; we honor the literary history of our country. It’s larger than any one individual, and I find value in that of itself.

DISCLAIMER: It’s a made-up name and the acct, exists for the sole purpose of discussing literature, especially Poe, as I intend to memorize ALL of his most popular works. Languages and traditions are lost when people discontinue interest in them.

Anyway, if you’ve read this far, you’re as nerdy as I am, and I’d love to hear from you! lol

Best and be well,

“DJ”

• toby says:

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuubbbbbbbbbbbbbbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Katie Says says:

Awesome, I didnt realy get it though. :)!

• Katie says:

Awesome,I didn’t realy get it though. :)

• Sarah says:

He’s genius!

• Anonymous says:

this is a beatiful story

• dae says:

how did it help you?

• bob says:

i liked it.

• Alexander says:

Weird poem. It has nothing to do with a Raven.

• tiffaney says:

its great

• erica says:

i loved it! helped me understand it better for my 80 questin AP-english final :) thaaaaanks!

• alice says:

really a nice story i love it very very much

i hope you Estell bout short story like these

because it’s help us in speaking an dreading so thank you a lots .

all my love and wishes from me to you

• Esteban says:

is amazing!!! greetings from Chile

• Relle says:

I love the accent !

• Jody says:

What a wonderful story it’s
    Thank you everymouch.

• Ron says:

Thank You I appreciate the effort and the story. The audio has helped me to understand the poem even better than I did before.

• SIMMON says:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

• jordan says:

it was alright i liked the persons accent

• victoria says:

this is an interesting poem. its like a rhyming story.

• jeremy says:

weirdest story ever

• Syli says:

But i do still give this poem a 8 rating as a good poem!

• Syli says:

This book was boring but the narrator was very ethusiastic!

• dat best says:

like it a little bit

• Ruby Garza says:

Friggin’ AWESOME! I’ve always loved this poem since my Junior year in high school. It’s outstanding. :)

• Roza says:

Am i like this great storu? No doubt, of course, surely!

• Roza says:

No words. Thanks.

• lalalamememe10 says:

it was cool

• kieron says:

absoltly mmmmmmmiiiinnnnttttttt spooky story

• janeica says:

am in the 9th grade listening to it its kina interesting and kinda of bored but it seem too keep catching my interesting this is a good choice of poem to listen to and kinda weird

• ebram says:

ht reminds me of universits times.thats great

• emma says:

this is one of the greatest poems of all time and your wonderful reading makes it even better

• Jessica says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for sharing such a wonderful reading of Poe’s “Raven.” My kids are going to LOVE hearing it!

Jessica
    7th grade English Language Arts teacher
    Phenix City Intermediate School
    Phenix City, Alabama

• kelly says:

i have to memorize 9 stanzas in 3 days. Any tips

• neil says:

my dad told me that it was going to be scary!! it wasnt and my mom gave me a weird face to!!!!!!!!! it was good!! :El

• Bertie says:

Dear Paul, I think there is a mistake in the editing of the audio and I’ll see what I can do.

• Paul says:

You should probably upload a better version of the audio again. There are so many mistakes in this reading of The Raven that it might be better if this one were heard “Nevermore”.

• Amber says:

you skipped a few lines when reading!!

• Lenore says:

This Is A Great Poem. It’s Very Down Putting Though. It Has A Great Personality.I Think Edgar Is One Of The Greatest Poets Of All Time!! Thanks For The Audio And Poem(:

• Junnie says:

Wow!! I Love This Poem,I Had To Read It For My Language Arts Class In School(: I Love Edgar Allen Poe..I Also Am A Bigg Fan Of The Baltimore Ravens!!Whoo.

• [...] familiar here, but the reader has a lovely accent!   I thought it was cute that they included Edgar Allen Poe’s “The Raven” in October as Halloween approached.  I subscribed to Storynory with my Google Reader and added a [...]

• [...] The Storynory: The Raven Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Edgar Allan Poe“The Raven” by Edgar Allan PoeAnother wordleLong goodbye: Edgar Allan Poe gets proper funeral [...]

• Ana says:

how sad the bird was reminding him so bleak and rudely how Lenore was “Qouth the raven Nevermore”

• this was too long and boring!!

• Bertie says:

Dear Susan, I think Alfred Noyes is in copyright at least by UK standards Alfred Noyes (September 16, 1880 – June 25/June 28, 1958).

It seems that the Society of Authors represent the interests of his literary estate. We would need their permission to do The Highwayman. I could write to them an ask.

I’m really glad you like the Raven. The language is a little difficult so we can’t do poems like that one too often but we loved doing it.

• susan says:

Brilliant idea to read this long opular poem. Great to listen to at bedtime. Do have more poems What about “The Highwayman” by Alfred Noyes?

• Bertie says:

Dear Jade, the Raven is a little hard to understand but the introduction in the text gives a summary

• red aju says:

I didn’t understand the story. Bertie, please explain to me the story.

love,
    red aju (my real name is jade)

* please answer

• red aju says:

I didn’t understand the story. Bertie, please explain to me the story.

love,
    red aju ( my real name is jade)

• someone says:

Didn’t understand it. Too confuzing.

• Bertie says:

Michelle, thank you for your patience. We are recording the next Gladys story tomorrow. We are also waiting for the music studio to send us the finished master of the song that will feature in the story.

• Michelle^^ says:

It’s PAST October 11th now!!!!!!!!! And I wonder ecxacly WHY I can’t see the story???

REPLY OR YOU’LL BE SORRY!!!!!!!

• tabitha says:

I really enjoyed The Raven. Thanks so much for posting it this holloween season

Did Not understand!!!

• Phoebe^^ says:

Michelle^^ said where’s the story

Phoebe^^ said YEAH! WHERE’S THE STORY?????!!

• Michelle^^ says:

well????
    if ya recorded the song,
    WHERE’S THE STORY????!!

• Bertie says:

Michelle, we were in the recording studio yesterday recording the song for the story. Honestly, we are working really hard on this. No just Natasha and me, but the musicians too !

• Michelle^^ says:

I WANT A NEW GLADDY STORY!!!
    AND I MEAN IT! SO GETTA WARK! NOW! SCRAM! MOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• zahra says:

it was a bit hard to understand but i got it.it wasnt really scary though becuase ive read peoms which was much much scarier than this but anyway by natasha reading it it was even better and easier to understand.

• Bertie says:

I have now looked at the Pendulum and the Pit – and yes I see it is The Famous Poe story about the Spanish Inquisition. But I think it is probably too dark for Storynory, But it is a great story, so thank you very much for the suggestion.

• Anonymous says:

bertie plz reply do uhink that u can post up the pit and the pendulum….plz reply! >.<

• nikki.p says:

bertie r u gonna answer me about the oit and the pendulum

• This a great story. At times a bit hard to read. I would not recommend that it is changed because the languish sets the tone of the story

• This a great story. At times a bit hard to read. Despite it being hard to read I would not recommend that it is not changed because the languish sets the tone of the story

• sateya says:

I LIK THIS STORY BECAUSE ITS A LITTLE SCAREY

• Bertie says:

Charmz, Well done on your story telling in front of your class. Fantastic. Yes, I know the Raven is a little hard, but the atmosphere comes across.

• nikki.p says:

natasha,i love the story is wonderful im a big fan of edger allen poe and i just wanted to sugest that u might want to read “The Pit And The Pendulum.” it is an awesome rocking totaly kool short story i read it last night and i loved it. My 7th grade class is reading it in 3 weeks and it would b awesome if u put it on SN

-fore now from me nikki.p, bye bye!

• charmz says:

hello Bertie! the truth is I found it hard to get what it really means. and that s why I read it trice. .
    by the way. .I just want to say thanks for the story of THE LIONESS and SMALL RESPECT!! I’ve done a great job yesterday. .I deliver my story telling in front of our class. . then my teacher and classmates like it. .more great story to come. .

GBU

• rosa says:

glades

• Bertie says:

Hi Nikki, that’s great. It’s a big achievement to memorize all 18 stanzas of the The Raven – and yes, it is a fabulous poem . I hope that people don’t find it too hard to understand, because some of the language is quite hard. I will try to add some more explanations soon.

• nikki :D says:

duuuuuddddeeee i love this poem we had to memerize it 4 our class i memerized the whole thing in 2weeks! NEVERMORE! XD

• Bertie says:

Hi Holly, I know that it’s been a long wait for the next Gladys. Sorry about that. We are recording the song this Thursday that will go with the next story.

• holly101 says: